Welcome to Our Blog


Welcome!!

My name is Penny Cheng, Chainmaille Artist and the Owner/Designer Of Jewelry by Saniki Creations. I am lucky enough to work on my designs at home while taking care of my three girls. Life is hectic, but fun...

This Blog is about my life, my business, and my creations plus I enjoy promoting my fellow Artists.

Enjoy!!!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Welcome the Year of the Rabbit ~ Gung Hei Fat Choi

Just wanted to take this moment in our busy life to wish all my friends a very Happy Chinese New Year.

This year we celebrate the year of the Rabbit and the celebrations start on February 3rd.  Those born in the years: 1915, 1927, 1939, 1951, 1963, 1975, 1987, 1999, 2011 share the sign of the quiet bunny.

To find out more information about the characteristics of people born in the Rabbit year, click HERE

So what do you do to celebrate? 

Chinese New Year lasts 15 days... here's the load down of what is traditionally done for each day:

Day One, New Year's Day (the first day of the first lunar month):
Traditionally, one welcomes the gods from the heaven and earth. Ming and Qing emperors would perform a grand ceremony at the Temple of Heaven in Beijing. But nowadays:
  • Elders give children ya sui, or gifts of money. The money is put into a lovely red envelope, called a hong bao, that is usually decorated with new year's wishes, and given to happy children. (Adults gets the red envelopes too, as long as they are NOT married)
  • Some Chinese might give up meat for the day. (I love my meat too much.. this I would not do)
  • No one cleans! Cleaning on New Year's Day is serious bad luck, you might sweep all the good fortune out the door.  (I don't mind this at all, however my better half has a problem with it)
  • Also parents let their kids stay up waaaaaay late.  It is said it will help with the parents longevity.
Day Two: Prayers to ancestors are added to prayers to the gods. It's believed that this day is the birthday of all dogs, so it's better to be extra kind to dogs on this day as well. (My own dog, Corki, will love this as she will get an extra treat)

Days Three & Four: Sons-in-laws pay respect to their in-law families.

Day Five: Everyone stays home to wait for and welcome the God of Wealth. It's bad luck to visit anyone on this day.

Day Six to Ten: Families go out to visit relatives and friends.

Day Seven: It's a special day for farmers and it's also supposed to be the birthday of all mankind. Eating noodles is traditional to ensure long life. (The longer the noodles, the better)

Day Ten to Twelve
: Now that the visiting is over, it's time to invite family and friends over for dinner.

Day Thirteen: Finally! A break in the lavish meals! One is supposed to eat simply on the thirteenth day of New Year.

Day Fourteen: Time to prepare for day Fifteen, the Lantern Festival.

Day Fifteen: Yuanxiao, or Lantern Festival. The Lantern Festival, celebrated on the night of the first full moon, also marks the end of the Chinese New Year holiday period. Chinese people light lanterns, play riddle games and eat sticky rice balls.

So there you go... that's alot of partying going on... 


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Showing you some blog #LINKLOVE
    http://theknitwitbyshair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments! I appreciate it!