Welcome to Our Blog


Welcome!!

My name is Penny Cheng, Chainmaille Artist and the Owner/Designer Of Jewelry by Saniki Creations. I am lucky enough to work on my designs at home while taking care of my three girls. Life is hectic, but fun...

This Blog is about my life, my business, and my creations plus I enjoy promoting my fellow Artists.

Enjoy!!!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Meet Hena Tayeb of Hena Tayeb Photography - Featured Artist

Today I am pleased to feature Hena Tayeb of Hena Tayeb Photography.


Through her camera lens, Hena's vision of nature and the urban environment is unprecedented.  A fellow member of The Artisan Group, Hena takes photos of of the ordinary and transforms them into works of art.


Read on to find out what inspires Hena.




How and when did you discover your love for your craft/art? 
I discovered it while in college on my way to being pre law. Many of my friends were artists and it just seemed so much more phone that what I was learning.. so i switched things up and studied graphic design and photography instead. I graduated about four years ago.. I took a year to figure things out.. get married.. move to a different country etc after that I jumped right into selling my work.


Black & White Metal Gate


Do you remember the first piece you ever made? 
Of the photographs that are currently for sale.. the first I took was this  http://www.henatayebphotography.com/#!__art-gallery/autumn-tales/productsstackergalleryv211=2 I took it in Thailand. At that time I was still using film and it was my first time experimenting with black and white. I only recently recovered this when I was at my mother's place sorting through my old things.

Every Artist has a creative process, can you explain yours? 
Mine is quite simple really.. I take photographs.. usually while travelling. We try to travel at least twice a year. The hundreds of photographs taken during that time plus others taken here and there. They are then sorted through and narrowed down. They then go through the first process of editing and are further narrowed down. The ones left go through a second process of editing. Sometimes they are further narrowed down..  what is left. The ones that I think best represent my vision and are of the best quality are then listed for sale.


Portuguese Pillars
When people start doing their craft/art, they tend to try a lot of different things before settling down to something that resonates with them.  How has your work changed since you began? 
I haven't been at it that long.. I have tried doing landscapes and zooming out to take the whole picture rather than zooming in to focus on the details but I am not satisfied with that style and have always gone back to my original view point. 


What inspires you creatively?  
Everything. I am inspired by the way a chair sits there with the sunlight highlighting its shap.  I am inspired by architecture both new and old and the details that we overlook. I love to find patterns and create depth in ordinary scenes and objects. The world is a beautiful place it just depends on how you look at it.


Little Birdhouse on the Pond


Can you tell us about some important goals you have achieved with your work? 
I have created a website. I have had the wonderful fortune of exhibiting my work in a gallery and my business card will be included in the swag bags for the 2012 Golden Globes.

Who are some of your favorite artists/crafters and why? 
It is impossible to choose favorites. There are so many inspiring artist out there. I am always in awe of those who can sew and create such wonders out of a piece of cloth or felt. I am inspired by all the mothers out there who show me that I too can do it.. the work that we do.. creating and crafting is an inspiring occupation and I am just honored to be apart of it.


Tan Twine Balls


Any goals for the future you would like to share? 
I would certainly like to get my work shown in more galleries. I also aim to drive a lot more traffic to my website.

What do you do in your spare time? 
I spend just about every spare moment with my little boy and my husband.. watching movies, reading books and planning our next trip. 


Steam Train


If you are displaying or selling your craft/art. Where?
 I sell my photographs on my website http://www.henatayebphotography.com and on Etsy http://www.henatayeb.etsy.com


If you sell online or at physical store.  How many hours per week to you spend in the creative side versus the business side? 
It varies. When I have a fresh batch of photographs more time is spent editing them.. other times I focus more on the business side. Currently I have two cities worth of editing waiting for me but I have so many marketing/business things in the works that I simply haven't had the time.


Canadian Landscape


What advice would you give to someone who want to start out or start a business in their craft/art? 
Do the research. Be patient, success does not come immediately. You need to give it time and you need to make an effort to bring people to your store. Social Media is your friend, you need to embrace it. 
*****
Thank you Hena, your work is inspiring to look at!
Be sure to check out Hena online at her:


(note:  All photos in this feature is copyrighted to Hena Tayeb)
*****
Be sure to visit on Friday, January 20th for another great feature with Nikki Cutro of 13 Black Cats Designs who is also the Managing Partner of The Artisan Group

Penny Cheng

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments! I appreciate it!