Welcome to Our Blog


Welcome!!

My name is Penny Cheng, Chainmaille Artist and the Owner/Designer Of Jewelry by Saniki Creations. I am lucky enough to work on my designs at home while taking care of my three girls. Life is hectic, but fun...

This Blog is about my life, my business, and my creations plus I enjoy promoting my fellow Artists.

Enjoy!!!

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Meet Anna Farath of Galaxy Eyes Photography - Featured Artist

We start of this week getting to know more about Anna Farath of Galaxy Eyes Photography.  Anna, who is also a fellow member of The Artisan Group, takes us to a world of simple enchantments with her beautiful and breathtaking images.



How and when did you discover your love for your craft/art?
I've always had a passion for photography. Throughout my life I enjoyed taking pictures, but it was when I got into college that I said “hey, this is my thing…this is what I want to do!” - I majored in Journalism and I've only had a few photography classes so it's not a skill that I actually developed in university. I’m pretty much self-taught and I still have a lot to learn!

I started in 2007 but I only opened a print shop in 2011.

Do you remember the first piece you ever made?
It's hard to define my first piece, considering that photography has always been in my life. But the first piece I ever sold was this photo, called FALL.
"Fall"
Every artist has a creative process, can you explain yours?
I'm moved by emotions. I'm an introspective person, so the way I found to express myself and my emotions was through photography. If I remember, read, listen to something, I process this feeling and create a new piece. There are times that I only capture a moment on the streets, which is something that comes more naturally (and it’s also a matter of good timing).

In still life, my inspiration usually comes from songs and memories. Sometimes I just have an idea or a word in my head, like "childhood". Then I find a way to translate that. In this case, this is how I translated childhood memories...through a series of minimalistic portraits.
"Childhood"
When people start doing their craft/art, they tend to try a lot of different things before settling down to something that resonates with them. How has your work changed since you began?
I can assure that my work has changed a lot. First because I try to constantly learn and improve my skills. But I used to have doubts about my own style (I still do)...I find it hard to define my own style as I to experiment many things. I used to focus on landscapes, cityscapes and now I’m finding myself in still life, abstract images. Now I can also say that I’m looking at things differently, working with minimalistic photos, negative spaces...

What inspires you creatively?
I'm very inspired by music.

Can you tell us about some important goals you have achieved with your work?
I’m still new at this but good things have already happened. My work has been selected to be sold on Urban Outfitters, I’ve been featured on Cool Hunting and some great blogs. Also, a few pieces that I worked in collaboration with hitRECord (a collaborative production company) were screened at SXSW Festival.
"Lucky"
Who are some of your favorite artists/crafters and why?
There are so many amazing photographers out there! I absolutely love the style of Jamie Beck. From fashion, to lifestyle to architecture; everything is outstanding. I also like Agnes Samour, especially because she only uses film and doesn’t rely on super fancy equipment; it’s just a girl and her camera – producing brilliant compositions.

Any goals for the future you would like to share?
My idea is to start working with wholesale, which is something that I haven’t experimented yet, and to take my online shop to a next level, getting my name out there. I’ll hopefully take an interior photography course, so I can get into this field too. And I’d love to expand my home office!
"Summertime"
What do you do in your spare time?
I like to cook (even though my kitchen skills are very limited) and I watch many tv shows. And of course, I like to read, listen to music and hang out with friends!

If you are displaying or selling your craft/art? Where?
My work is available on Society6 (art prints, framed prints, stretched canvases and iPhone cases & skins), Etsy and Urban Outfitters.
"Rustic II"
If you sell online or at physical store. How many hours per week to you spend in the creative side versus the business side?
I spend much more time in the creative side, as I try to release new images at least 3 times a week...can't say exactly how many hours. It depends. I don't neglect the business side though. I spend at least 4 hours a day promoting the shop, answering e-mails, comments, listing items, getting in touch with fellow artists and planning new projects.

What advice would you give to someone who want to start out or start a business in their craft/art?
Be very patient, be persistent and never undervalue your work.
*****
Thank you Anna, be sure to check out all of Anna's links and her shop to purchase her wonderful prints:

Shop (Etsy)http://www.etsy.com/shop/galaxyeyes
Shop (Society6) - http://society6.com/galaxyeyes 
Blog - http://galaxies.tumblr.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/galaxyeyesphoto
Facebook - http://facebook.com/galaxyeyesphotography
Flickr -http://www.flickr.com/photos/galaxyeyes
Portfolio - http://cargocollective.com/annafarath
*****


Penny Cheng

2 comments:

Thank you for leaving your comments! I appreciate it!